Sunday, June 12, 2011

Calabrese III-- They Call Us Death (2010)


Review written by Steven M. Duarte

Calabrese is band that has steadily gained popularity in the states. I myself am new to their music and was excited to hear their new album “They Call Us Death.” I can happily say that I was left with a good impression of their sound and look forward to not only checking out their back catalogue but waiting for new releases from the trio.
I have always been very clear on not wanting to label how a band sounds, but if someone were to ask I would point out Calabrese’s heavy influence from Misfits, Type O Negative and even the great Ramones. They have a good sound with a touch of Rockabilly thrown in for good measure. The vocals which are handled by Jimmy and Bobby Calabrese are very reminiscent of Evil Elvis himself Glen Danzig.
Calabrese’s lyrics and sound centers on horror themes with the use of B-movie sound bites. During my many listenings of this album, I was often reminded of 70 to late 80’s era Misfits. Calabrese definitely has the sound of an evolved modern Misfits.
Many of the songs found on They Call Us Death are very catchy tunes. Calabrese does a fine job of creating catchy tunes without having each one sound the same. Too often bands come up with hooks that just sound too damn similar. It can sometimes sound like your listening to one long song. Two of my favorite tracks from the album include the title track “They Call Us Death,” and “Black Anathema.”
“They Call Us Death,” is an album that grabbed my attention and appealed to both my horror and metal side. Calabrese is a band to look out for in 2010 so do yourself a favor and buy “They Call Us Death,” to share in the nightmare that is Calabrese.

Track List:
01. They Call Us Death
02. Black Anathema
03. Deep in The Red
04. Near Twilight
05. Blood of the Wolf
06. Within the Abyss
07. Venomwolf
08. Summon the Beyond
09. Violet Hellfire
10. The Machine of Instant Death
11. Endless Night
12. Loveless God

Check out their official YouTube Channel for interviews, videos and other special reports:


(Visit Calabrese here)

--Steven M. Duarte

No comments:

Post a Comment